Still planning our 2022 adventure to Italy. Since my last post, I have managed to reserve all 21 days of lodging for our stay. Each booking made through Booking.com has a cancellation date near to our departure date so that should we need to "un-reserve" any booking we won't lose out. There was only one booking, the one in Bologna, where we have already had to pay a deposit. We rented the same great apartment in 2016 and aren't worried about cancelling if we must because the owner is very kind and accommodating. The two nights in Milan are at a small hotel: Hotel Charly All of the others are self-catering apartments. In my next post I'll let you know about the places we've reserved with names and prices.
Here's the rundown on cities we'll be staying in:
1. We will fly into Milan Linate Airport if we can (we'll stay in Milan for one night)
2. Take the train to Verona ( first time in Verona)(for 5 nights)
3. Take the train to Venice (we have visited twice before on two day trips: 2011 & 2014) (2 nights)
4. Take the train to Bologna (we stayed in 2011 & 2016) (3 nights)
5. Take the train to Cortona (we have not visited) (5 nights)
6. Take the train to Florence (we have we have spent approximately 28 days in Florence. Have even made some Italian friends there who we visit on each visit to Florence).
7. Return by train to Milan for our flight home (1 night at the same place we stayed on day one)
These arrangements could all be held hostage by COVID the way things are looking today in the US and elsewhere. Hopefully, we won't have to change our plans too drastically, but we are already prepared to reschedule to the fall of 2022 if necessary. For that reason, among others, we haven't booked our flights and won't do that until January or February. Most of our train transportation will be on regional trains, 2nd Class, so we won't have to make reservations for those trips. A couple longer distances, we will reserve seats through Trenitalia on faster (and more expensive) Frecciargento or Frecciarossa trains, but we can't do that until 60-90 days in advance. Usually then, there are great discounted fares still available.
So, we're still planning to be in Italy in 2022! Will you be there, too?