Still planning our 2022 adventure to Italy. Since my last post, I have managed to reserve all 21 days of lodging for our stay. Each booking made through Booking.com has a cancellation date near to our departure date so that should we need to "un-reserve" any booking we won't lose out. There was only one booking, the one in Bologna, where we have already had to pay a deposit. We rented the same great apartment in 2016 and aren't worried about cancelling if we must because the owner is very kind and accommodating. The two nights in Milan are at a small hotel (Hotel Charly https://www.hotelcharly.com/ ). All of the others are self-catering apartments. In my next post I'll let you know about the places we've reserved with names and prices.
Here's the rundown on cities we'll be staying in:
1. We fly into Milan Linate Airport (we'll stay in Milan for one night)
2. Take the train to Verona (for 5 nights)
3. Take the train to Venice (where we have visited twice before) (2 nights)
4. Take the train to Bologna (where we stayed in 2015 & 2016) (3 nights)
5. Take the train to Cortona (where we have not visited) (5 nights)
6. Take the train to Florence (where we have spent several weeks in 4 trips) (4 nights)
7. Return by train to Milan for our flight home (1 night at the same place we stayed on day one)
These arrangements could all be held hostage by COVID the way things are looking today in the US and elsewhere. Hopefully, we won't have to change our plans too drastically, but we are already prepared to reschedule to the fall of 2022 if necessary. For that reason, among others, we haven't booked our flights and won't do that until January or February. Most of our train transportation will be on regional trains, 2nd Class, so we won't have to make reservations for those trips. A couple longer distances, we will reserve seats through Trenitalia on faster (and more expensive) Frecciargento or Frecciarossa trains, but we can't do that until 60-90 days in advance. Usually then, there are great discounted fares still available.
So, we're still planning to be in Italy in 2022! Will you be there, too?